If you want to change your starting point on DoorDash, this article will show you how to do it. It’s very easy to do!
The starting point on DoorDash refers to your location in your city. The way DoorDash works is it divides every city into different zones. You can think of zones as a neighborhood in your city. When you start dashing in a specific starting point on DoorDash, you’ll get orders in that zone. For the most part, your deliveries will stay in the zone you started in, although orders can sometimes take you outside of your zone too.
Here’s an example of how the zones are divided in my home city of Minneapolis:
I live in the Uptown/South Minneapolis zone, so when I want to dash, I typically do so in that area. However, I also go downtown and to the University of Minnesota a lot, so I often Dash in that zone as well.
When I’m dashing in the Uptown/South Minneapolis zone, I’ll only receive orders from that zone. I won’t get orders from other parts of the city because I’m not in those starting points. If I do want to get orders from other areas, I have to make my way over to them and then change my starting point to my new location.
Let’s get into more detail about how to change your starting point on DoorDash.
How To Change The Starting Point On DoorDash
Here’s the simple process on how to change your starting point on DoorDash.
- Log into the Dasher app. Once logged in, you’ll see a map of your area and all of the different starting point zones.
- If the starting point you want to dash in is available, you’ll see a button that says “Dash Now.”
- If you’re not in the starting point you want to dash in, you can click your desired starting point and click “Dash Along The Way.” When you do this, DoorDash will have you in the system and once you get into the starting point, you’ll automatically start getting delivery requests.
- When you click Dash Now or Dash Along The Way, you’ll have to select how long you want to dash for. You can end your dash anytime you want, so feel free to select any length of time you want.
- That’s it! If you’re in your starting point and have clicked Dash Now, then you’ll start receiving orders. If you selected a different starting point and clicked Dash Along The Way, you’ll start receiving orders once you enter the zone.
Note that if you can’t click Dash Now or Dash Along The Way, that means the starting point already has enough Dashers working or there aren’t enough orders available in that zone. In that case, you can click Schedule Dash and reserve a time in the future to start dashing.
For the most part, I’m always able to click Dash Now in my city and I’ve only very rarely had to schedule a dash in advance.
Why Can’t I Change My Starting Point On DoorDash?
If you can’t change your starting point on DoorDash, it’s likely because of one of the following reasons:
- There are too many Dashers currently working, so you can’t log into your desired starting point. If that happens, pick a different starting point or wait until the app lets you select it.
- DoorDash doesn’t operate in the city that you are in.
- You’re not in your home country, so you can’t Dash. I’ve tried doing DoorDash in other countries, but it seems like you can only work in the country that you live in.
- The DoorDash app is down. DoorDash is notorious for having technical issues, so it’s possible the DoorDash app is down. These issues typically resolve themselves in a few hours.
Changing Your DoorDash Starting Point In Another City
The great thing about DoorDash is that you can dash in any city that DoorDash operates in. Since DoorDash is in hundreds of markets, DoorDash is likely available wherever you are. I’ve delivered with DoorDash in at least a half-a-dozen cities in the US, including major markets like New York, Chicago, and Washington DC, and smaller markets like Indianapolis and Madison. I find it’s a great way to explore a new city and get paid while you do it!
To change your starting point in another city, simply log into the DoorDash app, click an available zone in the city you’re in, and click Dash Now. If you’re not in the zone, try to click Dash Along The Way if that’s available. And if that’s not possible, you may have to schedule your dash in advance.
But the short of it is, if you have signed up to be a Dasher, you can dash in any city that DoorDash operates in.
DoorDash is an app I use to earn extra income because of how flexible it is. Because of how widespread DoorDash is, it’s likely that wherever you are, you can start dashing and earn extra income. Hopefully, this post shows you just how easy it is to change your starting point on DoorDash.
If you’re interested in a more detailed look at DoorDash, be sure to check out this post I wrote: DoorDash Dasher: What It’s Like Delivering For DoorDash.
I also have a post on DoorDash hotspots that you may want to check out for more information.